Thursday, March 13, 2008

The journey continues

This morning we got up at a truly unreasonable hour to travel down to Ushuaia. I couldn't believe it when the alarm went off at 5am! But I managed to drag myself out of bed to get ready for the early flight. We'd arranged a minibus for 6am to take the 12 of us (and a significant amount of luggage!) across to the airport. Almost everyone else seemed to be feeling the effects of the early morning and it was luckily a very quiet journey to the airport. Once there, it was like being on autopilot - check in, leave luggage, coffee, security, wait at gate, bus to aircraft, seatbelt, safety demonstration - then back to sleep!!! There were lots of other people from the expedition who were also taking the same flight down to Ushuaia. This resulted in lots of introductions, but I decided that in order to retain a certain amount of sanity I would save the introductions until we arrived. So, I sat and pretended to read a magazine. It was comical really, as my eyes could hardly focus, but it seemed to do the trick and I was spared having to join in conversations!! There's plenty of time to make up for it!

I missed most of the flight, apart from when they brought the food around, and then woke up properly as we were decending over the mountains and in to land. The scenery was incredibly - snow topped mountains, rivers, forests set off by an amazing coastline! When we landed we were met by a group of people from 2041 who ferried us up to the hotel. It's a hotel quite high out of the city and the views are incredible!

We were allocated rooms and had our gear checked to make sure we had the right kind of cold weather clothes, then we were left to our own devices for the rest of the day. I spent some quiet time writing in my journal and taking in the views from the hotel. I'm now writing this sat in front of a huge open log fire, and keeping an eye on the sunset, which is just spectacular!

No comments: