Sunday, March 2, 2008

Morning people

One of the good things about travelling and being away from home is that it gives you a little bit of time to yourself. The domesticity of normal life is removed, because someone else cooks dinner, prepares breakfast, makes the bed, drives you to work etc, and you don't even have to consider what to wear because that decision was probably made when you packed. So once you remove all those daily chores, you are left with some (granted, not a lot!) time to do some of the more indulgent things - relaxing in the bath, reading in bed and watching tv. Well, they're my indulgent things anyway! With that in mind, I brought myself a couple of books to read. One of them is one that I was lent by a work colleague - The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Gerrard, who was part of Scott's expedition to the South Pole. I've been trying to get around to reading it for a while, but just don't seem to have had the time. Hopefully over the next couple of days, I'll be able to make a start. The other book I brought is one by Robert Swan - Destination Antarctica. I've got a couple of his books and I've been trying to get through them before I go. Maybe I'll just take them with me instead.

I've been trying to imagine what the expedition is going to be like and how I'm going to handle it. The thing I think I'm most worried about is how I'm going to manage being with so many people constantly for 2 weeks. Everyone who knows me, knows that I'm just not a morning person. But more than that, I struggle if surrounded by people who are. To me, morning people = noise and that's one thing I can't handle when I've just woken up! Actually, it's not just the noise, it's being expected to respond. I've learnt some tricks over the years to help me deal with morning situations where I'm surrounded by people who are more awake than I am. They usually involve looking intently in another direction, or wandering off somewhere, or if all else fails, pretending to be asleep! Maybe this expedition will teach me tolerance! I was going to say that I may come back a morning person myself, but no, that would need a miracle!

No comments: