Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Solar panels aplenty

It's been great being over here in China for the past couple of days. Everyone seems to be really interested in our expedition to Antarctica. I'm forever being asked questions about it, which is good as it shows that there is real interest in what we are doing. It also shows that the publicity is working!
One of the things I've noticed over here is the number of apartment buildings. I was in a city called Suzhou for the first part of the week, which is less metropolitan than Shanghai, and there were rows upon rows of tower blocks, like you would see rows of terraced houses over in the UK. You think of China as being such a vast country, but in the cities, population must really be an issue. But, more noteworthy than that was that every tower block and house had solar panels on the roof. Is it out of necessity, or is China streets ahead of the West when it comes to renewable energy? Either way, we should take a leaf out of their book as I can't remember the last time I saw solar panels in Europe.
I've also taken a little time to catch up on what's going on our team members already in the south. There isn't any new film footage on the site, but there are some photos and a diary entry which show that the e-home is now up and they have moved in. I also checked out the temperature and was rather pleased to see that it was 1 degree Celcius. Well that must be a first - me being pleased with a temperature just above freezing!!!!

No comments: