Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stepping out of the comfort zone

As part of the selection process for the Leadership on the Edge program, I was required to come up with a project proposal that could be implemented within our Business Unit. Now that the arrangements for the expedition are coming together, I can start to concentrate on working on my project.

Over the past few weeks I have been putting together a project team. All our Sub Business Units across the globe have nominated a team member, so we really do have a multinational representation on the project. The project team come from different work backgrounds and different cultures, so we have a wide spread of expertise. Because of the cultural differences in the team members, we will also be able to get an insight into what the sustainability issues are in different parts of the world. Next week I will be hosting a two day conference in Sassenheim, The Netherlands where we will all meet together for the first time. I have arranged consultants from our Sustainable Development department in Sweden to give us some more information on sustainability and the related tools, such as eco efficiency analysis, carbon footprinting and carbon offsetting. We also have another consultancy involved, who will give us an insight into how sustainability is managed within other large multinational companies. The outcome of the two days will be that we have a basis upon which to start developing training material for our Business Unit.

It's great to be involved in something that's totally different to what I normally do on a day to day basis. I feel as though I am a little out of my comfort zone so it is quite challenging - but I'm enjoying every minute of it!!

No comments: