Monday, February 25, 2008

Sympathy vote

Lots of things have happened today that are worthy of note. The photographer for the North East Journal came to the offices to take some photos. So, I got dressed up in jacket, trousers, boots and rucksack for the occasion. I even borrowed some walking poles so that I really looked the part. He got some great shots of me in different poses. It's a shame there wasn't snow on the ground, but the grounds of our site are quite nice in parts, so the pictures will be good.

This afternoon, I flew over to The Netherlands for the start of our 2 day conference to kick off my project on sustainability. When I arrived in the hotel with my colleagues from the UK, our colleague from China, Jason Cheng, was already in reception about to go for dinner. So, we quickly checked in so that we could all go to dinner together. Then, as we were half way through our main courses, Guillem Torner from Spain came into the restaurant to join us. It made me realise what an incredibly diverse project team we have got. That can only benefit this project as sustainability is a global issue and together we can look at the issue of sustainability not just from a western perspective, but from the perspective of different nations and cultures.

The other thing that happened today was that I woke up with a streaming cold. Not what I wanted when I have to host a 2 day meeting. I have to say that I'm notoriously pathetic when I'm ill, so any sympathy that you'd like to send my way would be gratefully received!! The real downside though, is that it's unlikely now that I'll get much excercise done between now and departure, so I just hope that the hours I've already spent at the gym, and walking up mountains, will be sufficient. But, it's better that I got this now, than in 2 weeks time when I'm heading off to Argentina!

No comments: