Monday, February 18, 2008

Penguins, postcards and publicity

A new game has been launched on the Akzo Nobel Mission Antarctica website (www.missionantarctica.com). Just click on the "game" link on the website and it'll take you to "the penguin whacks back". But beware, it's just a bit addictive!!

Today, when I've not been working, or whacking penguins, I've been trying to sort out some publicity for the expedition. We've kind of got internal company publicity sorted - the expedition features in our bi monthly People News, quarterly Interpon News, annual Review magazine, and we are also doing a weekly "Postcards from the Edge" feature, which will run for the next 6 weeks. But up until now, I haven't managed to arrange any external publicity. But, I think that's about to change. During a meeting with our Communications Department this morning, I mentioned that it would be good to have something in the local press, and national press if that was possible. This afternoon I got back to my office and there was a message on my desk - a journalist from the local newspaper had called to find out some more about my expedition. I thought I'd be quite nervous about speaking to the press, but actually I'm quite looking forward to it, and being able to tell a wider audience about what it is that we are doing, and more importantly, the reasons why.

Apart from that, today has been about sorting out some of the little things that need doing - sorting out insurance, buying blister plasters (just in case - you never know) and getting some advice on sea sickness medication.

Every day, I manage to tick something off my list. And every day brings me a little bit closer to Antarctica!

No comments: