Sunday, February 17, 2008

Boots

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new pair of boots. My old ones have never been particularly comfortable, and I reckon they're the reason why I trip up so much when I'm out walking. So I decided that to stop all the tripping, I would buy some new ones. But new boots means just one thing..... they need breaking in. For the past few weeks I've been planning on going out into the hills, but when you set the alarm for 6.30 am on a Sunday, there's always something more pressing that needs your attention. Eg. sleep. It's now only 3 weeks away from setting off, and the weekends available for breaking the new boots in are becoming less and less. Today I realised that if I wasn't able to do a big mountain walk then I should do something locally. So I set off this afternoon to get a few miles in the boots. And they were great! Only a tiny little blister on one of my toes, and I bet we did about 7 miles. I'm not sure if the last mile really counts though. On the way back we decided to call into the local pub for a pint. That pint turned into 3, and we also had dinner whilst we were there, so the final mile was somewhat delayed. And a little warmer and easier than the first 6!!

No comments: