Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The magic of merino

I find myself constantly thinking about the cold. Sat here in my office with its central heating radiator and a little portable oil filled heater tucked neatly under my desk, and I shiver at the prospect of what awaits me when I travel South. So my efforts at the moment are very much centred around what to take with me. My first reaction would be to take the warmest of everything, and enough so that I could layer myself up into some kind of Antarctic Michelin Man. But something that Robert Swan said when I met him in January still rings in my ears. He said that you have to be careful not to get too warm, as then you start to sweat, the sweat will turn cold, which will make you cold. The only solution once this happens is to take everything wet off and put on some dry clothes. And I really don't fancy doing that at minus anything, let alone the -30 degrees Celsius that it could be down there!
So, you see my dilemma. As a person who feels the cold quite easily, it's my natural reaction to opt for the "you can never be too warm" route, but it appears that in Antarctica being too warm can cause as much of a problem as being too cold.
Anyway, I think I may have a solution - merino wool! I've been lead to believe by the marketing hype that it has some kind of magical properties that will keep me toasty warm, wick any moisture away from me (to where I'm not sure) and with the added bonus of it having anti bacterial properties, which to you and me means that I could wear it for a week and you'd still all be talking to me!!

No comments: