Thursday, February 21, 2008

Counting sleeps....zzzzzz

One of the things that we do in our family when we're looking forward to something is to count how many sleeps it is until whatever it is happens. And, as I've just been reminded by my cousin, I should be counting the sleeps until I go to Antarctica. So, just for you Clare, it's 18 sleeps until I board the plane to Argentina!

The strangest thing has started to happen. As my departure draws nearer, I'm bumping into people who I won't see again before I go. And saying goodbye feels like I'm going away for a really long time. In some respects I think I am. I'm going on a journey like I've never experienced before, and it's going to be tough. And I expect it's going to change me. The physical challenges are going to be hard enough, but I expect the mental and emotional challenges will be even harder. I've been trying to imagine what it's going to be like but I have nothing to compare it with. We will have the challenges you would associate with any kind of personal development, but add to that the cold, the rough seas, the physical exertion and it takes it to a different level. The nearest I can come up with is studying for my professional exams at the same time as doing the Coast to Coast walk!! I wouldn't want to repeat either, let alone both together!

Well, I'm off to have one of those 18 sleeps, and to move me one day nearer to this adventure!


No comments: